ATTENTION The resit exam is on 14.08.13. The exam is oral. All students who will retake the exam must be in Savannen before 9:00.
The overall learning objectives (LO) of this course are:
- To get a basic understanding of principles and architectures for management of networks and networked services
- To get a profound understanding of SNMP as an architecture and platform for network management
- To get a profound understanding of Web-based management
- To get a basic overview of the area of Adaptive Systems and Autonomic Systems
- To be able to communicate, reason and creatively think about management of networks and networked services
- To be able to design, implement and use web-based platforms for network management
- To be able to configure and use Net-SNMP for network management
Learning objectives for each topic of this course can be obtained from Lecture Schedule page.
The plan for Spring 2013 can be downloaded as PDF here.
2.1 Lecture Structure
- A) General: (1 week)
- A.1. Introduction and Course Overview
- A.2. Standards and Model Foundations
- B) SNMP based management (3 weeks)
- B.1. ASN.1 (0.5 week)
- B.2. SNMPv1 (2 weeks)
- B.3. SNMP v2-3 (0.5 week)
- C) WEB-based Management (5 weeks)
- C.1. WEB-based platform technologies (2 weeks)
- C.2. WEB management standards (3 weeks)
- D) Adaptive and Autonomic Systems (1 week)
2.2 Semester Assignment
There will be two Semester assignment deliveries in the spring 2013.
Part 1: Network management based on SNMP.
Part 2: Network management based on Web-services and Semantic web.
The semester assignments will be graded with weight 33%. The grading is both based on the written submission as well as presentation and demonstration. The assignment will be graded by %-score (0-100%). The grading of the assignments will not be published before the final grade is published.
Assignments will be published on itslearning. Assignment submission must also be done on itslearning.
Exercise 1 General (Lab)
Exercise 2 SNMPv1 (Theoretical)
Exercise 3 SNMP v1/v2 , Net-snmp (LAB)
Exercise 4 SNMP v2/v3 (Theoretical)
The exercises are voluntary. They will be published on itslearning. The solutions will be published one week after the publication of each exercise. The understanding of the exercises as well as semester assignment will be tested during the final exam.
Mani Subramanian, Network Management - Principles and Practice, Addison-Wesley, 2000
The syllabus of this course is based on:
- Selected articles
- Lecture presentations
May 21st, 0900-1200, Support type D
Check out Tools and learning resources page for the useful tools and learning resources associated with this course.